In response to Hurricane Ida, the Louisiana Supreme Court issued three Orders which affect litigation in Louisiana:
Proceeding before the Supreme Court
- The Supreme Court Clerk of Court’s office will be closed until September 19, 2021. All filings due during this period of closure shall be deemed timely filed if filed on or before Monday, September 20, 2021.
- Cases scheduled to be heard on the September docket (September 7-9) are postponed to the October docket, the week of October 18, 2021.
Civil Cases Statewide
- All prescriptive and peremptive periods are hereby suspended statewide for a period of thirty days commencing from August 26, 2021.
- All periods of abandonment are hereby suspended statewide for thirty days commencing from August 26, 2021.
- The Court also extended time periods in criminal matters but limited the order to parishes most impacted by the storm.
Individual District Courts and Courts of Appeal may take additional actions because of the damage and loss of power experienced in multiple areas of the state.